You can start emailing things to NoteSuite in just three easy steps:
- Set up an email account within NoteSuite
- Send emails to your NoteSuite email address from any email program
- Choose "Get Email" from NoteSuite's File menu to download your emails
Setting Up Your Email Account
It's a good idea to create a separate email account for receiving email into your notebook. This allows you to keep the information meant for your notebook separate from your other email, and it helps you avoid wading through lots of emails in your notebook.
For your privacy and security, NoteSuite lets you use an email account you control, rather than forcing you into a proprietary email system or subscription. Although NoteSuite works with virtually any kind of IMAP email account (but not POP accounts), it works best with Gmail.
Here are the steps to set up your email account:
- Choose "Email" in Preferences
- Click the "Plus" button to add a new account. If you haven't already created an email account to use with NoteSuite, click "No." You'll then be given a link where you can create a new Gmail account.
- If you have an email account ready for NoteSuite, click "Yes," and enter the required information about the account, which is available from your email provider.
- Server Name: This must be an IMAP type of email server. Get this from your email provider. It will be something like: imap.gmail.com. (Note that some email providers call their services "IMAP," when they're really POP servers. NoteSuite is not compatible with POP email services.)
- Encryption: If encryption is available from your provider, be sure to set this to "SSL/TLS"
- Port: The port number is available from your email provider.
- Click Continue
- Let NoteSuite know the date you'd like to begin receiving emails and whether you'd like to receive All emails, or just ones you haven't already read. If you're using this email account just for NoteSuite (which is recommended), leave the "Delete From Server" box checked to keep your email account clean and fast. With most email services, NoteSuite places deleted emails in a temporary folder for 30 days, then permanently deletes them. So, if you accidentally delete an email, you may be able recover it by logging into your email provider's webmail service.
- Click the Save button
You're now ready to send emails to your notebook. You can receive these emails at any time by selecting the "Get Email" option from the File menu.
If NoteSuite encounters an email it can't read, either because of an email error or because the attachment is too large, it will put this email in a folder in your email account called "PB Unreadable." At this time, NoteSuite can accept attachments up to 5MB, with higher limits planned for the future.